Tradesman Insurance

Tradesman insurance is important if you work on site, in a customer’s home or other premises and can be applicable to both sole traders and businesses with employees.


The main element of the policy is public liability insurance, which can be combined with a range of other cover options such as employer’s liability, personal accident and business cover

Who can we cover?

We can cover a wide variety of tradesman such as:

  • Bricklayers
  • Builders
  • Carpenters and joiners
  • Carpet fitters
  • Double glazing installers
  • Electricial contractors (domestic and small commercial)
  • Flooring contractors
  • Garden and gardening services
  • Painters and decorators
  • Plastering and decorators
  • Plumbers and heating engineers (domestic and small commercial)
  • Property maintenance and repairers
  • Window cleaners
  • Plus a whole lot more click here to find out more

What does it cover?

It will automatically include Public Liability Insurance but you may wish to add optional covers such as:

  • Personal accident
  • Employers liability
  • Business tools, plant and equipment
  • Hired plant
  • Business premises
  • Stock


What is Public Liability Insurance?

It protects your business from claims that may arise as a result of accidental damage or injury that a customer or a member of the public suffers in connection with work you carried out.


This can be both at your premises or at the customers, if they for example trip over your equipment they may make a claim against you for the injuries they suffer. The public liability cover would cover your legal fees and any compensation that could be due as a result of the claim.


Do I need employers liability cover?



If you employee staff then Yes, you must have Employers Liability Insurance by law.

Your policy should cover all employees including contract, casual and seasonal staff as well as temporary staff (including students or other work placements).



Business premises insurance


Your business premises and it contents are essential to run your business. You can protect your property against damage caused by events such as burglary, fire or flooding.


You can also add extra cover for business interruption which offers cover for any periods where you are unable to business as noraml due to damage to your business premises.

Plant equipment (owned or hired)

Whether a piece of plant machinery or equipment is hired or owned by the busiess it could be against loss, theft or damage.



As a tradesman you may also require cover for stock, materials in trade and customer goods for which you are responsible for, This will cover against damage, loss or theft.


Print | Sitemap is a trading style of UK & Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited. Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England & Wales at: The Stables, Old Co-Op Yard, Warwick Street, Manchester, M25 3HB.

* For our joint protection, calls may be recorded and monitored. Calls will be charged at a maximum 5p a minute from a BT line. Calls from non-BT phone lines may vary. Telephone lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm excluding public holidays.